Fat Loss Challenge Week 1
Hey everyone! How is your current fat loss challenge going? I hope everything is working out as planned and that you are losing fat and building muscle! Just remember, you are doing this for yourself, your children, your family, etc! You have a huge support network and you should use it!
This post will be short and sweet. I want to detail to you how my first week went, what I did, and how much weight I have dropped so far.
If you remember from my initial Fat Loss Challenge Post here was my initial strategy:
- Kettlebell workouts, pullups, and other body weight exercises.
- Road Cycling 3-4 days per week, averaging around 50-75 miles per week.
- Hiking and playing outdoors with my four favorite girls (my lovely wife and three daughters!)
- HIIT sprints and kettlebell intervals for fat loss!
- Body Shot app usage to track measurements, photos, and weight done weekly.
- MyFitnessPal app usage to track my food intake.
- Eating a Paleo style of diet with periodic carb refeeds utilizing only veggies (no grains) such as sweet potatoes, squash, etc…
- Enjoying a cheat meal periodically… (Yes, this may include pizza, pasta, and definitely some ice cream!)
So What Did I Do?
Well, I wanted to take a step by step approach. I am introducing things on a step by step basis. My first step was Intermittent Fasting and the results were surprising!
I performed Intermittent Fasting 6 out of the seven days last week. My style of intermittent fasting was a 16/8 approach. Fasting for at least 16 hours and then eating in an 8 hour window. This worked great for my busy schedule. I traveled for work to Cincinnati, then Columbus and finally to Wabash, IN. Needless to say, it was a busy week for me and I didn’t get much exercise in.
For exercise, I played 9 holes of golf after work on Tuesday, did a short HIIT cardio session on Wednesday and then 18 holes of golf on Sunday.
I didn’t eat as clean as I should have either, but kept my diet almost 100% grain free! I had a couple Michelob Ultras (2.6g carbs) after my 9 holes on Tuesday with a co-worker.
Here’s an example of some of my weekly meals:
- Chipotle two days of the week for lunch. (I order a steak or chicken salad, no rice, no beans, hot salsa, a little cheese, a little sour cream, and guacamole for a grain free and delicious, mexican meal!)
- Outback Steakhouse for dinner. (Outback special with salad and broccoli. No bread! I know, it’s hard to say no to it…)
- Panera Bread for lunch. (Steak and Blue Cheese salad, hold the deliciously crispy, fried onions!)
So What Were the Fat Loss Results?
I started on August 12th at 199.6 pounds.
I weighed in on the following Monday, August 19th at 196.6 pounds! That’s a -3 pound drop! In one week… This puts me well on my way to getting to my goal weight of 185 pounds by October!
I lost -0.75″ from my waistline and -0.5″ from my abdomen. The BodyShot iPhone app says I lost 1.2% body fat that week (which I’m not sure I believe).
I did take a progress picture on August 12th and with a comparison to August 19th (one week later).
Here is how the comparison looks… Don’t laugh! These pictures always feel quite embarrassing… But it is something you have to do if you want to keep the motivation rolling! I have to get rid of this darn spare tire and love handles!
If you want to keep up to date on my gym-less fat loss challenge, enter your name and best email in the box below! For subscribing, I will email you a special fat loss gift!
[ois skin=”Why Subscribe Page”]
- Intermittent Fasting works if followed properly. Read About IF Here
- I should have thrown in a few more cardio sessions, but I wanted to first introduce my body back to IF and see how I reacted with minimal exercise and on light physical activity such as golf.
- I do miss the gym a little bit. Hopefully as I get more into kettlebell work again, I will not miss it as much…
- The week of August 19th, I will be introducing Road Cycling back into the fat loss mix!
- I haven’t been on the saddle for over three weeks! I miss it…
- I will do two days of kettlebell training the week of the 19th and ramp it up as the weeks go on.
- Intervals will consist of sprints, cycling sprints, and kettlebell swing intervals.
Until next time, stay fit my friends!